When would you want to use a Canvas App?
A Canvas App gives you complete control over the app's layout, while a Model-Driven app fits a more standard layout generated by the underlying data models you have in place.
Steps to create a Canvas App
- Login to https://powerapps.microsoft.com.
- Click on Apps, then New App from the toolbar.
- You’ll be given several options. You can start from existing data, or you can create a blank app. I usually pick the blank app unless I’m creating an app specifically for a single data source.
- The layout of your app doesn’t matter too much. Pick the Phone Layout if you are making an app specifically for phones. Otherwise, pick the Tablet Layout.
- Once your app is created, you’ll want to go to File > Settings, change the name and icon for your app, and then choose a more specific screen size and orientation. The defaults are usually okay for a standard app accessed through the desktop browser or a tablet.